26 July, 2011

YOU are the presentation

I found excellent instruction in several presentations on Monday. Sarah's presentation, in particular, was exceptional. Her topic selection was appropriate for the time available, and the visuals supported the information she was sharing. I also liked that her presentation focused on something special that happens in Portland; it was easy to answer “why do we need to know this?” when listening to her presentation. In addition, the visuals were engaging and elegantly presented. In sales talk, her presentation “made the ask” at the end; it gave us motivation to do something extraordinary and the information necessary to make it happen. Marc's talk, too, was fantastic. His introduction about that morning's weather was an excellent opener and got the audience immediately involved. He asked questions of the audience during the presentation, and skillfully incorporated the responses into the remainder of his presentation. His enthusiasm was palpable and contagious. His presentation balanced entertainment and science; his visual aids and videos showed the humorous and serious sides of tornadoes and the science behind their creation. Sara had the best save when the technology failed; reciting her own version of Middle English turned a potential disaster into an epic win. I was sure of her expertise and confidence in her content. Erin did a great job making a personal connection to her topic (though I wish she had talked more about her experiences and mentioned her special connection earlier in the talk). Roger used Prezi to great effect; the integration of photos and videos with the map gave an excellent overview of his adventures. I think Roger's presentation best maximized Prezi's capabilities.

The least engaging parts of presentations resulted when people seemed uncertain, whether from technological error or poor preparation of content. When we use technology in the classroom, we have to assume it's going to fail and have a contingency plan. Ryan's presentation had a clear conception and was thoughtfully prepared, but there was no back-up plan. When we have a presentation using PowerPoint or Prezi or a SmartBoard, we can't rely on the technology to keep students engaged. Even with excellent presentation materials, the teacher is still the presentation. Adequate time must be spent preparing what will be said. A few people seemed to spend more time on their visual aids and not as much time preparing what was to be said. In particular, Jerry and Andy seemed to know their topics well but didn't spend enough time considering how to share the information. Using time well was a challenge for several presentations. Sara's interesting overview of the development of English was a bit long for 12 minutes, and Roger's presentation was disrespectful of other people's time because it went well beyond the ending time for class without prior permission or warning. Tim's 1909 World's Fair was a great topic and his expertise was clear, but he tackled too much during his time. It would have been more appropriate to select a more specific component of the fair; perhaps mistreatment of different cultures at the fair or how the fair helped the University of Washington develop would be potential ways to hone the talk.

In my presentation, I'd like to find a way to increase student involvement. I would have students take a brief mindset quiz to assess their mindset; I'd let them score their own and keep the information private. I also said “umm” several times, which made me sound less knowledgeable. In the future, I will pause silently instead of saying “umm”. I had to refer to my notes in the middle of the presentation—but I had left the notes on the other side of the room, which showed a lack of forethought. I would put my notes on a note card for easier portability. While I talked about the Michael Jordan video clip, I let the other video clip stand on it's own. When I do this presentation again, I will make explicit connections between the second video and my talk's content. I really like the graphic organizer with the brains that explains the different parts of fixed vs. growth mindset. When I redo this presentation, I will put stops on different parts of the graphic organizer. Students will have an incomplete copy of the organizer and will fill in missing information. I'd also like to work on my close; I didn't feel as compelling as I'd like be.

I liked using Prezi for my presentation because I could integrate text, images, and video. One potential disadvantage is the time investment; a good presentation can take a long time to prepare and a short time to present. I'd use it with students for my mindset talks at the beginning of the year. In general, though, I'd use a SmartBoard for teaching math concepts. I wouldn't change from Prezi if I could redo my presentation, but I will use a SmartBoard for our final project so I can develop that skill set.

Prior to this class, my primary in-class technology was an overhead. I occasionally used an LCD projector to project problems onto the board instead, especially during small group review. After this project, I want to learn how to incorporate more technology (especially the SmartBoard). How often I use such technology will depend on the resources of my school. I especially like interactive white board's ability to capture notes. Students often need to review material several times before they can move information from short term to long term memory. Being able to post the day's notes on the class website would increase accessibility of content for review. When presenting lecture material, it doesn't matter what visual method is used as long as the teacher remembers they are the presentation and students must be engaged. The most important question a teacher should ask themselves when preparing direct instruction is “What are the students doing when I'm _________?”

3 comments:

  1. Cassie,

    Naturally, I am driven to retort to your post because you bring up a good point about my time going beyond the time slot. I would like to clarify that I did in fact ask Shawn if I could go beyond the time limit, and I did inform him that I am fine with people not participating in my presentation. Technical difficulties pushed my start time to after the official class time ended, which made it a little irritating to some who would rather be elsewhere. For that, I apologize. I hope that you at least found the presentation interesting.

    I love the fact that the weather happened the morning of the presentation, thus enabling Marc to tie it into his presentation. It was a perfect fit, and a skilled teacher is one who can take any event and turn it into a teachable moment. If you were Marc, how would you have started your presentation if the weather was different?

    I am a fan of your idea of posting class notes online for students to access. I say, why stop there? Could you not also record your lectures, and make an audio file available for download? or even a video file? I hope to do this for my classes, but I suspect the digital storage space for six hours of daily video instruction will inhibit the viability of this option. Furthermore, not 100% of the class time is worth uploading to the internet, and the time involved in filtering out unnecessary content and uploading necessary content may exceed the time it took to present.

    I really appreciated your presentation, finding myself entrenched in the content. I did not notice any "ummms" so you need not worry. I look forward to seeing your smartboard presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie,

    I thought you gave an exceptional presentation on mindset. I found myself entrenched in the material even at 8 in the morning at the tail end of the summer session. As a student who struggled to maintain undivided attention in high school, your tone and style really appeals to my learning style. You also integrated a Michael Jordan clip which was a great way to connect with your audience.

    Feeding off of your thoughts on prior preparation when using technology, do you feel that PowerPoint ultimately will be your best option in the classroom? I completely agree that it took far too long to prepare for a 5-12 minute presentation, but I wonder if Prezi will become much more efficient if used on a regular basis. I seem to remember PowerPoint being similar in that presenting 10 slides on PowerPoint used to take far too long. It is my opinion that the next time I create a Prezi, I will be able to cut the preparation time in half. I'm not entirely sure Prezi is that much better than PowerPoint, but I like it because it's different. I would venture to say my students would think my lectures are more interesting than others because Prezi is the newer and hipper version of presentations.

    Although I didn't notice you having difficulty with roaming or turning your back to the class, are you concerned that integrating the SmartBoard with presentations may create issues in classroom management? The same can be said if technology fails. I don't care how prepared you are for a lesson; if your videos are lagging and not loading properly on a regular basis, your students are going to be disgruntled.

    Overall, I want to give you praise for a great presentation. It's obvious you have experience in the classroom and I can't wait to see your SmartBoard presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To back up Roger, he did ask if he could go over time and I permitted it. To be fair to me, I didn't expect 26 minutes... :-).

    ReplyDelete